Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sex, statistics and presentations

I was gathering some articles for a research project the other day and came across an article in a highly ranked journal about women and sex tourism. It seems that some women, like some men have done for years, go on holiday primarilly for sex. They go to places such as the Carribean and Kenya where men, often young men, are poor and will do anything to earn a little money. The research, I must say a scholarly piece of work, was really quite informative, having interviewed some of the women and the men involved.

It made me think about research, well actually it made me think about sex first. But then it made me wonder how we determine what is valuable research? I think the article is valuable research; tourism is an important part of the global economy and especially to the poorer nations. In addition, there are many social and health issues related to this topic. Good on these researchers for taking this topic on. I wonder what their colleagues thought about it and whether it was easy to get funding?

Have you ever wanted to take on a topic but refrained because of what your colleagues might think?

www.CompletePhD.com

1 comment:

  1. I wonder who is going to give funding for this kind of research. what about research ethics

    ReplyDelete