Friday, May 21, 2010

Research Proposal Presentations

Students presenting their PhD proposals often end up developing a lot of slides for a 30 to 40 minute presentation. My suggestion is to cut it down to 9 or 10 maximum.

1 Title slide
2 Practice or theory problem being addressed and significance of this
3 Literature or key theories
4 Research model
5 Research questions
6 Research design
7 Research design (sometimes only one is needed)
8 Expected contribution
9 Timeline for project
10 Any questions slide?

This way the presenter doesn't have to rush through many slides and can spend time making eye contact with the audience.

The key point is that the student should answer the questions and not the supervisor. It is research training and after all the student's project and it is good to get used to answering questions and thinking on your feet.

I hope this helps? Has anyone any suggestions for students presenting proposals? I think they often get very nervous because it is the first time they have presented as a researcher. I was nervous the first time I stood up infront of an audience to talk about research. Even though I was a lecturer and had presented for years my knees were knocking together lol.

1 comment:

  1. It is not just students ;-)

    I think that sometimes slides are crammed up with content because they are used as aide-memoirs, which is, of course, not the point. I recommend having a core slide set with few slides and not much text, and then have a number of extra slides with lots of detail to use if an when relevant questions arise.

    Looking forward to reading what other colleagues do / suggest.

    ReplyDelete