Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Classification Skills

Most research involves some sort of classification. The literature needs classifying and often responses to questions, either through surveys or interviews, need to be classified also. Classification is an underestimated skill. A good classification is valuable to your own research as you can offer this as a contribution of your study. Also, it provides a foundation for you to build upon.

Classification involves grouping related items. It may appear easy but when dealing with a complex area it can be quite tricky. It assumes that the classifier has a good conceptual understanding of the area so that items or concepts can be conceptually classified.

If the classification process is proving difficult then go back to basics. Read papers on related themes to your research and examine the groups that they have used. Can any of these apply to your domain of study? Ask fundamental questions such as what are the key concepts underpinning each strand of research or data set?

It is unlikely that a good classification will fall out of your analysis first time. More likely is that it will be refined over a prolonged period. Good classifications are usually based upon simple factors so be careful of making your analysis too complex.

www.CompletePhD.com

1 comment:

  1. Terrific observation, which fits with your newer post about literature review. I find that I collect as many articles related to my research questions, and/or research objective. I reach point where I am no longer finding articles on the topic.

    At that point, the classification becomes crucial. Usually, I develop two to three categories that form my schema or classification. I start with unit level of analysis, analytical tool, and theory.

    A note about theory, most of my research objectives have a few but not many theories. I always include theory because that can be a gap in the literature. They used Theory ABC. What if I used Theory DEF, then what?

    On the floor, I drop articles into piles. If several piles have one or two papers, then I consider collapsing terms in my classification.

    When I am satisfied that I have all papers properly classified into manageable and understandable working piles, then I proceed with the next step in my research process.

    ReplyDelete