Saturday, November 7, 2009

Failure to make progress and why people drop out?

Typically, supervisors do not spend much time discussing with their students the reasons why students fail to make progress on their doctorates or give up entirely – maybe they think it is too personal.

I think that it is useful to discuss the reasons why people let their project stagnate or even die. I don’t think the topic should be continually assessed but it should be discussed at some stage.

Why? Because the reasons why students fail to make progress need to be out in the open and can help in overcoming some of the difficulties that may arise. The reasons are not secrets and can be traced to a set of common factors.

Progress in doctoral studies is usually hampered by the following:

1) Failure to identify a topic for a doctorate within a reasonable time frame.

Possible causes are: lack of meetings with the supervisor, inability to commit to a suitable topic.

2) Starting a research project thinking that everything should be absolutely clear from day one! This is never the case! When a student discovers that after three months of research a clear picture of what he/she is doing does not emerge then disillusionment with the process may set in.

Tip: Expect to feel a sense of confusion – this is the nature of research. It is often confusing in the early stages and it takes time for clarity and ideas to emerge; it will only be in the later stages that your ideas will really crystallise.

3) The supervisor retires or moves to another university and they find it difficult to find a new supervisor.

Tip: This can be a difficult situation. Ask questions such as: Can your first supervisor still remain involved in the supervision? Can a team of academics supervise you and give you advice? You may just have to accept what has happened and make the best of the new situation. Realise it is your doctorate and it is up to you to take ownership of it.

4) Insufficient meetings or time spent with their supervisor making progress slow.

Tip: Organise more meetings with your supervisor and prepare for them (see later chapter that explains how to prepare for meetings with your supervisor). If your supervisor is unresponsive then it can be more difficult to address – I discuss this issue later also.

5) Events in the student’s personal life compete too much with the doctorate and something has to give!

Tip: Better management of personal life versus doctorate balance.

6) The initial reason for taking a doctorate was not strong enough.

Tip: Find a reason for doing the doctorate and determine if you really want to complete it.

7) The doctorate was always going to take second (or even third) place to other things.

Tip: Reorganise your priorities if you want to complete. Revisit your reasons for starting. Put it number one in your priorities or at least equal first.
www.CompletePhD.com

7 comments:

  1. Hi Craig, thanks for your blog.

    As a PhD student who is about to complete their confirmation seminar after 7 months, I am feeling a little stressed! You mention the selection of a topic as a key factor for dropping out, but how do you see the failure to comprehend/grapple with a theoretical paradigm and methodology that frames your inquiry as a stumbling block? I am having trouble grasping on to a methodological approach that encapsulates my research design.

    cheers,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben

    I am not sure what you mean by stumbling block in this context?

    Often research methodologies are just labels to describe our research design. If you look at it bottom up and design your data gathering and analysis you might find that is enough. Which label you put to it is another matter.

    If you give me more details then maybe I can do a post on it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Craig, sorry to be a bit vague! I guess my query is 'the label' for a methodology. I am struggling to find something that fits neatly between my epistemological paradigm and my research methods, that encapsulates my research design. Do you have any suggestions for how to go about finding something, and how critical is it to articulate it clearly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben - this something you need to discuss with your supervisor - sooner rather than later

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Craig,

    Isn't it funny how much 'research' can get done during a bout of procrastination - research normally involving PhD forums and obscure searches for just that little piece of inspiration that's going to put your PhD project to rights! If I could be this productive in writing my protocol for ethical review I'd be months ahead!

    The stumbling block I've been encountering, almost bang on a year into my PhD (and this has taken quite a while to realise), is that there may be a difference of expectation between the prospective/new student and their supervisors. In my case, for example, dealing with medical sociology, what started as a project based on one set of objectives and methods, slowly and stumblingly morphed into something completely different. It's a sign of freedom on the part of the relationship between supervisors and student, but at the same time, has led to a year in which readings and thought have covered more varied methodological readings and basic choice making than I ever thought possible. And perhaps now my work is no longer in the area that I am interested in, and does not make best use of my skills. Time has slipped. Frustrations have set in. Compromises have been made. A study has almost been designed, but by the very nature of the toil and effort that has gone into producing it, it seems that a once enthusiastic and optimistic student may have lost his mojo of inspiration. Do I even want to carry on with this? Sometimes it's a case of simply 'manning-up', and thinking - well, what else would I actually like to do? Issues 1, 2 and 6, certainly, plus others....! Interesting topic for discussion, nonetheless.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another thing I wanted to mention as a stumbling block - the sheer mountain of admin involved in setting up certain PhD projects - as my qualitative study involves working within an NHS hospital setting, the amount of red tape has been horrendous!! For someone whose interests lie more in the sociological arena than the clinical, and who feels the need for a creative output as affirmation of achievement, the level of administration and box-checking and repetitive form-filling has sent me almost bananas! ;D

    K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I love your blog. Literally.

    Craig I was wondering if you could help me 'objectify' my problem so I can process it and move onto the next stage of my progression.

    Although not yet at PhD level I have an MA in English Literture (taught) and a PGDE (Scottish Teaching qualification for teaching in secondary schools in the UK).

    I have been following a research master at a French University but I am failing.

    My level of French is not high enough for the French component and it should take me 5 years of supplementary study to get back to where I thought I was now in the French system. I am going to have to move back to Scotland because my wife can't handle this any longer - its been two years to go five years backwards.

    The requirement for my research thesis is 100 pages but my advisor has not really helped me understand exactly what the requirements are for it to be passable - the biggest dissertation I have written in my taught MA was 20 and my supervisor was brilliant in his aid.

    AFTER my viva yesterday he has provided me with a precise specification of what he wanted to see BEFORE my viva which he says I have probably now failed.

    There has been no structured relationship between us: meetings have been three in number since August and have been abnormally spaced (August, December, after viva); meetings were not forecasted for precise times to cover precise issues; when I have asked him to be definitive about what his expectations have been in terms of structure and content for my thesis via email he has ignored my emails until the end of December and then given me the same vague wording; he has not helped me formulate a plan; or to structure my argument.

    All he has really told me to this date is my thesis is too theoretical and not analytical enough.

    He says I have not been good at analysing in this piece of work and that is why I am failing it.

    However I know I am good analytically as I have been very successful in my undergraduate and MA - I have had a number of 18 out of 20 grades in my analytical papers in the past and have a high level degree.

    So I was hoping I could ask for some feedback on anything that strikes you as pertinent in my message. Feel free to define, analyse, and/or advise on, what I have written above.

    I guess I think there are three 'specific' problems.

    I feel stupid and small after what he said (you havn't been analytical, hence all the boasting above). I FEEL I don't know how to do a master's thesis but on an INTELLECTUAL level I know I have got what it takes to do research based on my past academic success. However I don't know how to go about physically writing a master's thesis.

    Is this him or me, or a combination?

    Is master's research always like this?

    What level of support are supervisors supposed to give?

    My thoughts on this, being a teacher myself, would be all the support possible without physically doing your research for you.

    I feel like an idiot and cried so much yesterday.

    Thanks for considering my message.

    Denise.

    ReplyDelete